Business Development Coaching for Lawyers
Build profitable relationships based on mutual respect
Continuously attract new clients
Ask for business naturally and effectively
Generate thriving referral relationships
Cross-sell your services with ease
Build a powerful brand
Being a good lawyer used to be enough. However, the legal profession has changed, and now business development and marketing are crucial elements of the success equation.
I work with:
- Partners trying to increase their books of business;
- Senior associates and of counsel who aim to become partners;
- New partners who are former in-house counsel;
- Partners who changed firms but lost some clients in the transition and are working on getting the momentum going again;
- Junior or mid-level associates who understand that getting started early is a good investment; and
- Partners who had great success in the past but who have lost their mojo.
Coaching and strategy sessions may encompass a wide variety of topics, including:
- Creating business development plans suited to clients’ strengths and preferences;
- Providing a sounding board and support structure as they navigate the implementation process;
- Exploring new approaches to developing or leveraging existing relationships;
- Finding time for marketing, through more efficient management of clients, staff, and partners;
- Managing existing clients;
- Asking for business;
- Elevator pitches;
- Determining when and how to fire clients or decline work;
- Developing business opportunities in foreign countries; and
- Adapting marketing and business development methods to a specific city or region.
Having worked with attorneys in a wide range of practice areas and cultural environments I can help you to craft a plan that optimizes your chances of reaching your goals in the shortest period of time. Most lawyers generally know what to do to increase business: focus on a specific niche, speak and write about an area of expertise, network, etc. Like losing weight, it is simple, but often, not easy. Most people get caught up in one of two places. Either they have trouble choosing priorities or they have difficulty taking the actions. I help with both.
Contact me to schedule an initial consultation.
Articles about Business Development
Asking for Business: Tips but No Tricks Worried about pressuring the client or looking desperate? Looking for the exact right words? Here is some food for thought.
Does your sense of humor go out the window when tacking business development? Do what the Turks do.
He Who Talks First Loses This simple but powerful approach will help you find high quality leads from networking events.
Selling 2.0 - Helping is the New Selling
Do you dislike traditional approaches to selling? Luckily there is another way.
Dragons, Fire & Miracles
Is your business development stagnating due to procrastination? Check out how one person shifted her perspective and got back in action.
International business development has some unique challenges. Marketing yourself to the entire world just isn't practical. I help you to turn your specialized knowledge and experience into a strategy that maximizes your results and ROI.