Create and sustain strategic visions
Build extraordinary teams
Inspire others beyond what they thought possible
Persuade others despite fundamental disagreement
Create new leaders to follow in your footsteps
Being a good lawyer used to be enough. However, the legal profession has changed, and now business development and marketing are crucial elements of the success equation.
I work with:
- Partners trying to increase their books of business;
- Senior associates and of counsel who aim to become partners;
- New partners who are former in-house counsel;
- Partners who changed firms but lost some clients in the transition and are working on getting the momentum going again;
- Junior or mid-level associates who understand that getting started early is a good investment; and
- Partners who had great success in the past but who have lost their mojo.
Coaching and strategy sessions may include:
- Creating business development plans suited to clients’ strengths and preferences;
- Providing a sounding board and support structure as they navigate the implementation process;
- Exploring new approaches to developing or leveraging existing relationships;
- Finding time for marketing, through more efficient management of clients, staff, and partners;
- Managing existing clients;
- Asking for business;
- Elevator pitches;
- Determining when and how to fire clients or decline work;
- Developing business opportunities in foreign countries; and
- Adapting marketing and business development methods to a specific city or region.
Having worked with attorneys in a wide range of practice areas and cultural environments I can help you to craft a plan that optimizes your chances of reaching your goals in the shortest period of time. Most lawyers generally know what to do to increase business: focus on a specific niche, speak and write about an area of expertise, network, etc. Like losing weight, it is simple, but often, not easy. Most people get caught up in one of two places. Either they have trouble choosing priorities or they have difficulty taking the actions. I help with both.
Contact me to schedule an initial consultation.
Articles about Leadership
Nine Simple Actions to Create A Culture of Leadership
Great leaders don't perform in a vacuum. Here are tips to create other leaders to support your efforts.
Five Tips for Hiring the Best People
People are the most important factor in your firm’s success. Focusing on the hiring process in a systematic and thoughtful way increases profitability. See how.
3 Reasons Law Firm Strategy is BS & Why it Matters
Most lawyers think that “excellence” is a strategy. It is not. Discover how a real strategy can help you create a more successful and satisfying practice.
Give Me a Rock!
See how NOT to manage people, and learn ten simple steps for efficient and effective delegation.
Ode to Persistence
When is persistence worth it, and when is it time to move on? Here are some guidelines for making that decision.