Early Adopter Business Development Program
(located in Washington, D.C. )
Acquiring business development skills is similar to learning a language. It can be tedious like the average high school language class, or it can be fun and life altering like studying abroad. This group is designed to help young lawyers create the latter experience. As many wise and successful men and women have observed, enjoyment is one of the keys to achievement.
“People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing.”
What topics do we cover?
The order and the exact topics may vary depending on the interests, knowledge and requests of group members. However, the following is a general outline.
- Goal Setting: Choosing goals that fit your strengths and interests
- Business Development Plans: Making plans that are practical and user-friendly
- Elevator Pitches: How to communicate your message without feeling like a used car salesman
- Networking Events: Making them useful and enjoyable
- Developing Long-Term Business Relationships: The keys to the kingdom
- Referral Partners: How to select, approach and help them (so that they, in turn, help you)
- Asking for Business: Being persuasive and effective without being pushy
- Organizations: Using your time wisely
- Social Media Part 1: Inspirational examples from successful lawyers
- Social Media Part 2: The nuts and bolts
- Staying Motivated: The secret ingredient
- Choosing Next Steps: Celebrating successes and deciding how to move forward
What are the benefits?
Groups create a level of momentum, energy and learning that is not possible for individuals on their own. The top benefits of participation include:
- Fun – Engaging in an activity with friends will always be more enjoyable, which leads to greater ease and effectiveness.
- Referrals – Meeting periodically and being united in a common endeavor creates a bond that facilitates referral relationships as well as friendships.
- Inspiration – Listening to others’ ideas and successes can help you stay inspired about your own plans or identify new ways to execute them.
- Celebration – Sharing your own victories helps you appreciate and acknowledge yourself (which has been proven to help perpetuate continued success.)
- A Faster Learning Curve – Observing others as they try new methods and approaches allows you to learn from their mistakes as well as your own.
- Reflection – Improvement requires not only practice but also thoughtful reflection. The process of discussing your actions with others helps you to understand on a deeper level why certain activities may be producing better or worse results.
- Structure – The program keeps your business development activities top-of-mind, even when work is extremely busy.
How does it work?
This is a six-month program. We meet three times, at the beginning, middle and end of the program, and the rest of the sessions occur via conference call. Meeting periodically facilitates substantive personal connection, and the conference call format allows everyone to minimize transportation and scheduling issues while maintaining an ongoing structure for growth and motivation.
Each participant also receives a one-on-one coaching session that can be used at any time during the six-month program. Business development is a whole new arena, with a very different set of challenges and opportunities than the actual practice of law. As with any big new endeavor, most people get a little bit stuck somewhere along the line, so the coaching sessions are available to address whatever is in the way and help participants to get back on track to achieve their goals.
How much time is required?
In addition to the meetings, I recommend committing a minimum of five hours per month for business development activities. More time may be appropriate for those who are further along in their careers or who have more ambitious goals.
When and where are the meetings?
Meetings are held in downtown Washington, D.C. Contact me directly for exact times and dates.
If you want to be ahead of the curve and get started now bringing in clients, give me a call or contact me through my site.