If you are looking for a community of smart, motivated, and forward-thinking attorneys who support one another in the process of business development, this is it. Each attorney can draw on the experience and wisdom of the other group members as they refine, update and implement their rainmaking activities. CEOs have a long tradition of participating in such groups where they discuss, and get feedback on, their most pressing corporate problems. After all, two heads are better than one, and eight are better still. Now, this type of resource is also available for lawyers to address the area of business development.
What are the benefits?
Groups create a level of momentum, energy and learning that is not possible for individuals on their own. Recognizing the power of groups, some law firms have begun providing this sort of program for their own attorneys. Yet, even those attorneys sometimes prefer to develop their skills in a confidential environment free of office politics. The top benefits of participation include:
- Fun – Engaging in an activity with friends will always be more enjoyable, which leads to greater ease and effectiveness.
- Referrals – Meeting regularly and being united in a common endeavor creates a bond that facilitates referral relationships as well as friendships.
- Inspiration – Listening to others’ ideas and successes can help you stay inspired about your own plans or identify new ways to execute them.
- Celebration – Sharing your own victories helps you to appreciate and acknowledge yourself (which has been proven to help perpetuate continued success.)
- A Faster Learning Curve – Observing others as they are trying new methods and approaches allows you to learn from their mistakes as well as your own.
- Reflection – To achieve mastery requires not only practice but also thoughtful reflection. The process of discussing your actions with others helps you to understand on a deeper level why certain activities may be producing better or worse results, and make the necessary adjustments.
- Resources and Ideas – Legal marketing and social media are constantly changing and evolving. In this group, you will constantly be exposed to new resources and ideas.
- Structure – The program keeps your business development activities top-of-mind, even when work is extremely busy.
What is the format?
We meet in person once a month for approximately two hours, and each meeting includes the following four components:
- Social Time – Group members can mingle, catch up, and get to know one another better.
- Food for Thought – I briefly introduce a new tool, book or idea that participants may find useful for business development. Participants may wish to share related thoughts and experiences.
- The Main Event – Each month, one person, as scheduled in advance, shares with the group an idea or plan that he or she plans to implement. The group asks questions and provides suggestions and resources.
- Short Topics – At the beginning of each meeting, I ask for a list of topics participants would like to discuss, and at the end of the meeting, we address as many as time permits. Anyone present may raise a subject or ask a question of the group.
What about conflicts?
The group includes only attorneys who are not directly competing with one another.
When and where are the meetings?
Meetings are held in downtown Washington, D.C. Contact me directly for exact times and dates.